Sunday, September 7, 2008

The Overnight Shift!

So, ok... it's been a week since I wrote this... but I felt I was too tired to properly proofread when my shift ended and I forgot to post it after. But better late than never!

9/1/08- 12:00AM

The overnight shift!!! It’s the best ever! Some people think I’m crazy, but I fight for this shift! I pulled seniority this year and told someone else they were not allowed to have the overnight. There are a lot of reasons why… some of them have to do with personnel… some of them have to do with me not liking to wake up in the morning and being a night-person. But some of them have to do with the following fantastic performances… welcome to my Overnight on the Telethon blog

1:48A- The Balloon Animal Maker climbs inside a giant balloon and then gets shot in the butt with a lawn dart.

2:30A - Place your bets. Skip Martin, formerly of the Dazz Band is performing his one hit, “Let it Whip.” The live version he currently does is approximately 15 min. We are assured that it will be a mere five minutes on our show. Who wants odds?

2:33A- Skip is now asking just the sexy people if they will shout out a “hooooooooo”. Yes, we are asking a 2:33AM audience to sing and shout “Hoooooooo” “Ya’ll gonna make me lose my mind.”

2:40A: Tom Bergon is hysterical and does not get to showcase his inherent sarcasm on Dancing.

2:45A: Menopause, The Musical. Need I say more?

2:54A: It’s the juggler! He juggles little balls and bounces some blue rubber balls on a small piano on the ground and plays Fur Elise. If that's not talent, nothing is...

3:15 AM: In a local break, I see that breakfast is up in catering. And since I feel that Vegas has not completely leached all the water from my body, I grab a plate full of salty bacon and ham so that finally I can get rid of every pesky ounce of moisture my body currently possesses.

3:20 AM: The Assistant Director is counting the Director through a song where the singer is celebrating bald men and lamenting men who use rogaine. TRUE STORY! "She's said it before... she'll say it again... I like Bald Headed Men."

3:30A: The “comedy imaginator” draws a turkey on a big pad and then pops an actual full size frozen butterball out of the bottom of the paper pad. Then he pops snakes out of peanut cans to the rhythm of Blue Danube. Honestly, I’m not making this up! I LOVE THE OVERNIGHT!

4:10A- In the middle of the local break, one of the staff members says he thinks it will be a good idea to streak the show somewhere in Hour 20. We discuss for a few minutes and someone suggests that because of camera placement we will only be taking away an image of the back of his head. He responds suggestively “Oh, I think you would definitely be taking away something else…” and another staff member inquires “Will it be syphilis? Because, you know, not EVERYTHING that happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.”

4:15- One performance into Hour 11. I’m beginning to tire. Which is making everything a lot funnier. Which is good news for some of these acts and we can only hope the audience is EXHAUSTED!

4:30- Time for the foot jugglers. I’ll let your imagination run wild.

7:20AM- You may have noticed that quite a bit of time has passed since the last entry on my overnight timeline. The reason for that is two-fold. One… I got bored. And two… I got tired. And twoA (revision!)- I stopped having funny things to say. But I have now made a decision that is very important and personal, so naturally, I will share it with you. We have an act performing in the next hour that I am quite fond of. Turns out, this act makes shadow puppets which are the coolest hand puppets you’ve ever seen. These aren’t stupid bunnies hopping through the forest scoopin up the field mice and boppin ‘em on the head. This guy makes Ray Charles and Elvis and Dolly Parton complete with boobs. And although my shift ended at 7, I was going to stay to watch the shadow puppet man (who may have usurped the horn honker man as my favorite telethon act) in the next hour. Alas, I realized the song my bed is singing to me, the come hither lullabye, is too sweet to be ignored. I will have to let me memory of the shadow puppet man's rehearsal be enough to sustain me until next year.

And thus... with a balloon animal... I sleep.*

(*Some time, I may give you the Shakespearean version of Telethon which Allison and I wrote one day. If you're lucky and ask real real nice!)

Happy Labor Day!

No comments: